Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Keeping the Javanese Monkey at bay

My first UCC post since Ryan's arrival last week. A few months ago, i decided to give up coffee in an effort to lower my blood pressure which was a little high. I figured i'd better, when i asked the nurse how to lower it, she replied "exercise and watch your diet." Since i already do a lot of both of those, the coffee was the next place i looked. And it worked, my blood pressure became extremely favorable, however i morphed a bit into of an early-to-bed and early-to-rise kind of guy. Anyhow, the guys in my office have been taunting me, "Wait until that baby comes, you'll come back to coffee, you'll see" etc.

Well, i still haven't but i'm desperate for decaf these days. I need it, maybe i'm addicted to the trace amounts of caffeine in it, i don't know. Today, after a week of being dissatisfied with the brands we've had, i bought some Starbucks decaf and made it according to the directions on the bag which call for 2 tbsp of coffee per 6 ounces of water. That seems excessive, but realize that Starbucks is in the business of selling coffee. To wrap up this longer than need be post, it's damn good that way. Curiously strong of course, but tastier than any of the others i've tried. And i think it's still way cheaper than going to Starbucks, so i'm going to stick with this plan.

1 comment:

David Alexander said...

Dude!
I didn't know that my Bee Bee had gotten you hooked.
I'm pretty sure she mixes equal parts Community and Heroin! That stuff definitely hooks you. The last time i gave up coffee, maybe for 2 months, i told her i'd drink the real stuff with her every Sunday afternoon. That didn't last long, Sunday afternoons turned into Wednesdays after lunch, then Friday mornings, you get the idea.

This time, it's working, i've been off since late July. Amy thought i would hop back off or on the proverbial wagon during her marathon labor session, but Juan Valdez be damned, at 1:00 AM i was drinking decaf!

I'll keep you posted on my downward spiral, can it be long now? Robin Williams in Dead Again said "You either a smoker or you're not." We'll see...